The COVE has reached double digits, so a special 10th-anniversary celebration was in order! Several of our team members, including co-founders Merrilee T. Small, DVM, DACVIM (Cardiology) and Jeff T. Stallings, DVM, DACVS, welcomed some very special guests for a morning of commemoration, reflection, and recognition.
We were honored to welcome Suffolk Mayor Michael Duman, who said some words and presented a Certificate of Recognition to Dr. Stallings and Dr. Small for their vision and continued devotion to the community. In return, as a gesture of our commitment to helping our region’s pets, we also welcomed first responders from four local fire departments – Suffolk, Chesapeake, Portsmouth, and Norfolk – and presented them with Pawprint Oxygen Masks. Each of the 46 fire stations in their departments will receive a trio of masks (small, medium, large), which will enable first responders to deliver oxygen to animals suffering from smoke inhalation or otherwise needing supplemental oxygen while en route to medical care.
“In 2012, The COVE opened its doors to provide emergency and advanced care for pets and their families. We built this practice one day at a time on the core values of community, collaboration, commitment, compassion, and integrity,” said Dr. Stallings. “I am honored to be here a decade later, still focused solely on providing the best possible care to our beloved companion animal patients, their families, and the referring veterinary community.
In the past decade, we have:
- Treated more than 106,300 patients for everything from persistent coughs to major trauma
- Grown from a staff of just 11 to a team of than 120 well-trained professionals
- Remained the only privately owned and operated 24/7 emergency and referral animal hospital in the area
- Raised more than $30,00 through our Helping Animals Together (HAT) Fund, which enables us to provide some financial support for critical patients that have an excellent prognosis but might otherwise be euthanized due to their owners’ financial limitations to pay in full
- Cared for patients as far away as Kitty Hawk, NC, Emporia, Richmond, and the Eastern Shore of Virginia – and everywhere in between
- Maintained an unwavering commitment to our community through participation in Bark in the Park, Move Your Mutt, K9 and Kids Camp, Passion for Paws Picnic, Mutt Strutt, and many other events
- Continued growth over the last two unprecedented and difficult years when many other veterinary hospitals have closed or reduced their hours
“Importantly, our core values have always guided the way we honor and invest in our team,” said Dr. Small. “This has enabled us to attract and retain an exceptional group of highly qualified, dedicated, and compassionate professionals. Only through their commitment have we been able to provide world-class care for so many years.”
We are truly honored to be able to serve our area’s furry family members. Thank you for trusting us with their care!
The COVE provides care by board-certified veterinary specialists in cardiology and surgery, as well as advanced dentistry by a highly trained and experienced veterinarian. Our emergency service is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year – and no appointment is ever needed. We are located at 6550 Hampton Roads Pkwy, #113, Suffolk, VA. We welcome your call any time, day or night, at 757-935-9111.
The COVE’s veterinarians and staff wholeheartedly embrace the core values of community, collaboration, commitment, compassion, and integrity. This focus ensures that pets, the people who love them, and their primary care veterinarians have as positive and affirming a healthcare experience as possible, regardless of the circumstances that bring us all together.